Thursday, July 14, 2011

Expectations

There is a thought that if we 'dont expect very much we'll never be disappointed', or that 'expectations are premeditated resentments'.
I'm here to challenge that level of thinking by stating that one of the best things we can do is to surround ourselves with people who have high expectations of us and love us for who we challenge ourselves to be.

I was fortunate while in Cancun several years ago, to see the author, Andy Andrews, speak live at a personal development conference. He was talking about this very concept as it relates to friendship and unconditional love. He said that a real friend is not someone who loves us just for who we are, because the girl that waits on us at the drive through window does that. He said that a real friend loves us for who we can be and also expects us to challenge ourselves to be that.

Now I'm not talking about the sick, never satisfied type of friendship where you are guilted into doing things because the other person doesn't want to do them. I'm talking about what is the essence of good coaching. It is that I am around people who help me see bigger than I am capable of seeing. It's about being around people with vision and future mindedness. It's about setting and achieving goals that are worth the price paid for their attainment.

And its all about good coaching. A good coach sees me better than I see myself and then challenges me to get there. But a good coach has an expectation that I'll bring my desire and committment to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment